Friday, December 11, 2015 Oh, What a Ride

Woke up:                    Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Went to sleep:            Ensenada Grande, Isla Partida, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Oh, What a Ride

Our friend, José, invited us to dinner at the Baja Fun tourist camp on the beach.

Peter went to shore in the late afternoon to try to take back the Bocce Ball championship.  I followed in My Boat about 5:00 pm.

Our first course was ceviche, which, of course, is raw fish “cooked” in lime juice.  Neither Peter nor I eat raw fish but out of respect for our new friend, we graciously accepted a small portion and ate with gusto.  Our next course – vegetable soup.  We ate our soup exclaiming “muy bueno” knowing there was a high probability the local fare could lead to diarrhea and vomiting.  Peter whispered, “Well, perhaps we’ll lose some weight.”  The fried fish, rice and salad were delicious and I contributed cookies for dessert.

While inside José’s tent we were unaware the wind and seas were building.  Following many “gracias” and “buenas noches” we were surprised to find the wind swept waves were crashing on the shore and the dinghy was half full of water, taking every third wave over the stern.  José ran to get a bailer, a plastic Clorox jug with the bottom cut out and the handle left in place.  Standing in four feet of water, José and I wrestled to hold the dinghy in place while Peter bailed.  Once emptied, we tied My Boat behind to tow it home.

With my dress soaked to my waste, I belly flopped into the bouncing dinghy.  Peter fired up his “one pull” Yamaha with one pull and leapt in alongside me.  José held the lantern high and wished us a safe journey as we motored away.

The night was complete darkness.  A thin cloud cover obstructed the moon and star light.  We pointed the bow towards Penelope’s anchor light, illuminated atop her mast, and went for it.  Because we could see only 1-foot in front of us, we took a deluge of water over the front of the dinghy every few minutes without warning.  The quarter mile from shore to home seemed like five.

Finally, we were alongside Penelope.  Holding tight, I climbed on board and turned on the spreader lights and the cockpit light so Peter could see to finish his work.  With the wind howling and everything rocking up and down, I watched from the deck to make sure he didn’t get bounced out while he pumped another bathtub full of water from the dinghy.  We secured it to Penelope with three independent mooring lines.  That should keep her nearby through the night.

Peter muscled his SUP and My Boat on board and secured them to the deck. After rinsing the outboard motor and my Mirage® drive with fresh water, we went below to remove our wet clothes.

We’ll be sleeping in the salon tonight.  When the boat rocks front to back, the bow and the stern are lifted and lowered much higher than the midline of the boat.  With Peter on the starboard settee and me on the port side, we blew each other a kiss goodnight and recognized once again – only Mother Nature is in charge here.

About Susan M. Gierga

Everyone already knows everything there is to know about me. I wear my heart on my sleeve. To learn current details. Visit my blog, CruisingwithCaptainPeterandtheAdmiral.
This entry was posted in Travel Log. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Friday, December 11, 2015 Oh, What a Ride

  1. Carole McAlpine says:

    It makes for a nail biting read guys but was probably quite scary in real life, stay safe you two and we hope the on shore meal didn’t have any repercussions either!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s